Sunday, January 01, 2012

I've been busy!

I've been busy in the studio and in my personal life lately. I'm expecting my first child in a matter of days (due date is January 11, 2012) and trying to get a few things wrapped up in the studio before he comes. It's all hustle and bustle around here lately!

I ended up recording four cover songs:

Souvenir (Tella)
Frame (John Daly)
The Voice (Andy Goodson)
Sun On Fire (David Michael Tafe)

There may be more coming, but I'm not sure when. Check out the results on my web page.

I've also spent the last few months attending to another project near and dear to my heart. I've completely remixed and remastered tracks from my 2002 two-volume set of albums, and am releasing it as a single, self-titled CD. Twelve of the best and most beloved songs from that era are included, plus two songs that were started for that project but never completed. Here is what I've written about this project in the liner notes:

In 2001 I began tracking for my third album. I was rather prolific at that time and had enough material for two full albums, so Greg Goldman Volume I and Greg Goldman Volume II were released as a set in 2002. My equipment was rather limited, and many of the tracks were recorded in suboptimal conditions. Especially disappointing was the sound quality of the drums, which were played brilliantly by Andy Goodson, Charlie Platt and Justin Howell, but recorded to two channels by necessity (rather than seven or more which is standard studio practice). I borrowed a keyboard for a hurried one-day marathon recording session because I did not have one of my own, nor money to rent one. Even the vocal mics were borrowed from a friend.

Ten years and two solo albums later, I work in much friendlier studio conditions (though still barbaric by most standards). I have much better sound editing and processing software, a decent MIDI controller, and drum replacement capabilities. With these advantages I dug out the old masters and set about completely reworking the mixes. I added and/or replaced keyboards and guitars, replaced drum hits (but kept the original tracks for cymbals and ambience), and in one case replaced a vocal track. I rebuilt the mixes from the ground up, spending time on every instrument until I was satisfied.

I also decided to separate the chaff from the wheat, as it were. I selected the twelve best and most beloved tracks for the re-release, in order to pare the sequence down to a single album. I also found, reworked and added two songs that were recorded in 2001 but not included in the original releases due to technical limitations. In my opinion these two previously unreleased songs fit beautifully with the rest of the material.

Cedar Studios has now been in existence for fourteen years, has been based in seven states, and has advanced light years from the 386 computer and Shure SM58 that once formed its basis. This remaster is evidence both of where Cedar Studios came from as well as where it is headed.



And here is the track list:

1. Fulfill the Prophet
2. Parenthetic Pearl
3. The Pride Piece
4. Pieces of Hurt
5. Calliope
6. Either Way it Works
7. Concession Stand
8. Come Down
9. I'm Not Gonna Sit Back
10. Really You
11. Nowhere
12. Big Big Lie
13. Bad Brakes
14. Different


Things sound so much better, and I'm really excited to put this new, improved version of my work out there. Release date any day now! I just need to receive and approve the demo copy.

Until next time,
GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home